I saved 65 KB on this site. Basically, I removed two web-fonts and cut out some CSS. Overall, I went from 93.8 KB to 28.8 KB.

I rewrote my styles using vanilla CSS. Originally, I was using a SCSS because of its nesting capability. Another benefit of SCSS is that you can split your styles among multiple files. By default, CSS doesn't perform well in that respect[1]. An advantage of using CSS, was that it forced me to write my styles more succinctly. By limiting myself to one file, I gave myself a practical reason to keep the file size to a minimum.

I also started loading fewer web-fonts. I removed the body and display web-fonts, opting for local fonts instead. I was using Roboto (sans-serif) for the body text, and Lora (serif) for the headings. I switched them both to a single, local-only, "catch-all" font stack. I can hardly tell the difference.

Otherwise, I made minimal changes to the website's visual design. In the process of rewriting the CSS, I made some stylistic decisions. For example, I changed the theme of my code blocks from "Nord" (a dark theme) to "GitHub Light". I also removed the CSS reset I was using, which was normalize.css by Nicolas Gallagher.

Size Comparison *
BeforeAfter
Roboto font15.4 KB0
Lora font34.5 KB0
Google Fonts CSS **11.4 KB2.4 KB
Normalize & code-block theme **4.2 KB854 B
Sitewide CSS **5.4 KB3.4 KB
Print CSS801 B748 B
* GTmetrix reports: before, after
** Uncompressed size

Oh, and the best part is... my site is now only 100 ms faster. 326% smaller, 8.3% faster. Go figure. 🤷‍♂ī¸


  1. Think about it. Every time you request a CSS file, whether using a <link/> tag or @include syntax, you make a network request. As every network request has a cost, it's much more practical to combine your CSS into one file. ↩ī¸Ž